Meditation is very useful in a number of mental health conditions and has been acknowledged for its cost effectiveness, efficacy and safety especially considering it does not have the side-effects of commonly used Psychiatric drugs.
Here are some of the mechanisms of action of meditation you should know about;
- Positive changes in Gene expression-extensive up-regulation and down-regulation of genes.
- Rebalancing and reorganization of cortical and sub-cortical structures in the brain.
- Improved neurotransmitter function
- Improved emotion regulation
- Enhanced cognition
- Improved inter-hemispheric connectivity
- Improved central regulation of interoception and homeostasis
- Advanced regulation of gastro-intestinal, neurologic, immunologic, cardio-respiratory, and psychological function.